How-To: Build the Perfect Salad
Start building YOUR perfect salad today! Of course, you want to start with leafy lettuces and greens. Then, add bright and colorful fruits and/or vegetables. Don’t forget to power up with protein (chicken, fish, lean meat, beans, tofu, tempeh, lentils, other legumes). Lastly, Splash with a simple salad dressing (homemade is usually best)!
Here are 7 tips to make it EVEN BETTER!
1. Make is seasonal: More nutrition, better taste, and supports local farmers.
2. Invest in useful equipment: For example, salad spinners can change your whole view of salad prep.
3. Keep it simple: More isn’t always better. Sometimes just a few ingredients are all you need.
4. Don’t be afraid of a little fat: A little goes a long way, provides tons of flavor, and can have health benefits when heart healthy fats are chosen.
5. Add some crunch: Texture can make or break an eating experience. Crunch is typically a desired texture in a salad.
6. Salads need balance: Crunchy needs soft, acid needs fat, and spicy needs creamy.
7. Add a topping: Top a salad with some fresh herbs can be the perfect way to jazz it up.
…AND here is my perfect salad!
Ingredients: [SALAD] Kale (ribs removed), apples, blue cheese, slivered almonds and smoked salmon. [DRESSING]: Lemon juice, olive oil, kosher salt, ground black pepper and honey mustard. [Optional]: Whole-wheat dinner roll.
Directions: Whisk together the dressing ingredients in a large bowl. Add the kale, toss to coat and let stand for a few minutes. While the kale stands, cut the apple into sticks, and add the apples, blue cheese, and almonds to the kale. Toss well and set aside. Place the salmon on top of your salad (usually 2-3 pieces; pre-sliced). Enjoy!